September 9, 2008

Food, Sex, and Wordly Women

While I'm waiting for my pictures of Mrs. Akerstrom-Sodorstrom's Desert Sand cookies to develop so that I can blog away about them, I'll leave you with this interesting post titled "Top Ten Food & Sex Scenes in the Movies" from The Houston Press Food Blog. This might be one of my favorite top ten lists of all time!

Is there a food-sex scene you feel should have been listed in the top ten? If so, let me know!

Also in the sexy food vein is Isabel Allende's 1995 memoir Aphrodite: A Memoir of the Senses. Here's an excerpt from the book where Allende comments on the sexual rhythms of a meal: "A well thought out dinner forms a crescendo beginning with the pianissimo of the soup, passing through the delicate arpeggios of the appetizer, culminating with the fanfare of the main course, which is followed, finally, by the dulcet chords of the dessert. The process is comparable to that of making love with style, beginning with insinuations, savoring erotic juices, reaching the climax with the usual crash of cymbals, and finally sinking into a pleasureful and well-deserved repose."
If you haven't read this book yet, then you must--soon! Allende's voice in this memoir is that of a wise & worldly woman who most definitely has a silk scarf to match every occasion. She's the woman nibbling on gourmet macaroons and Madagascan chocolate truffles in a Parisian cafe. She is the woman who once cried after cracking the thin surface of a creme brulee because it reminded her of her own birth. And her own death. And the fragility of all humankind. Yes, she is that woman. Yet, while I find such literary personalities to be amusing and, at times, downright corny, I just can't get enough of them!

Another reason to read the book? Allende includes a recipe for "Orgy Soup" in the chapter titled--not surprisingly--"The Orgy." This recipe, chock-full of bacon, pork ears, pig's feet, ham hocks, veal ribs, veal hock, pork sausage, and ground pork, is sure to get your heart-rate up (or forever still) at your next, uh, gathering.

Happy eating (and sexing)!

4 comments:

Hadley Gets Crafty said...

I love Isabelle Allende's work. I never was able to make my way through A Portrait In Sepia, though. I've never read the book you blogged about. I'll have to check it out.

thisblocksuckz said...

Thought titillating, the Orgy Soup sounds -- well, gross. As a "meat" man myself, sometimes too much meat is hazardous.

Jada Ach said...

Not only the soup sound really, really gross, but it would also be hellishly expensive. Empty pockets make me sad, and sadness, my friend, does not a fun orgy make!

Jada Ach said...
This comment has been removed by the author.