February 8, 2009

Spring Is For Real

For weeks I have been doubting the old Earth-orbits-around-the-sun "fact" we all memorized as kids. I wanted to scream, "Oh, come on!" to any scientist who dared to argue that seasons change--that winter inevitably turns to spring. Come February, winter feels like an eternal headlock in an endless wrestling match. However, I think my faith in science might have been restored today. Spring, that heavenly beer at the end of a long day, might be within reach after all.

Today the temperature shot up to 70 in Southeastern North Carolina! Yes, that's right: 70! I turned off the heat, opened my windows, and let the fresh air fill my stale apartment for the first time in months. Instantly, several small tornadoes swept through the musty quarters of this old house, clearing the dust and cat fur from seemingly every nook and cranny. Winter residue be damned! You are no match for the pure air of Spring!

If the warm air and clear sky were not enough proof of the coming of Spring, the expressions on people's faces as I walked downtown more than gave away the surprise. As Ingrid Toth says in her poem "Spring 1946," "People were finally smiling again." Not only were the people smiling, but their canine counterparts also seemed to be glowing with new light. Rottweilers, weiner dogs, yippy schnauzers, and even a few bipolar chihuahuas were out and about with their human pals enjoying the first hint of Spring...and I swear I saw a few grins on even the most crotchety of pups! Everyone in town thawed themselves out of hibernation today, anxious to wag their tails in the direction of the sun.

In celebration of a new season (sorry, Northerners...I imagine this post might be 4 months too early for your polar environments, right?), I created a Spring-inspired smoothie guaranteed to shake the last bit of frost from your limbs. Here's to a bright season filled with Vidalia onions, mangoes, and two new exciting memoirs by two of our favorite food bloggers (see here and here)!

"It's Almost Spring, Dude" Smoothie
(for 2)

2 dates
2 bananas
1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/8 cup cashews (salted or not)
4 cups milk (I used rice milk)
1/4 tsp. nutmeg (gotta include a touch of lingering winter to this beverage, no?)
1 Tbs. agave or honey

1. Throw everything into the blender and blend until frothily combined! This nutty & slightly sweet smoothie offers up a beautiful taste of Spring that might just come into full-bloom if we're good & patient.

2 comments:

Breedale said...

How funny! I made smoothies yesterday too. It was absolutely gorgeous outside and I spent my fair share outdoors. I love our early spring!

Hadley Gets Crafty said...

It was fifty up here! That meant NO COAT... for an ENTIRE WEEKEND. Woo hoo!

I'm going to do some scone pondering, by the way. I'll get back to you with my findings!